Name Change

Here you will find links to written information, forms, and also how to ask a lawyer a question and/or how to get a lawyer to represent you .Some areas of the state have more information than others.  You may wish to look at information from other areas as well as your own. Please be advised that not every court in the state will accept all of the following forms.  


Legal Information and Forms:


Forms for Name Change Petition and Decree

(After clicking on the link, please scroll down to find the forms)


Change a name on a Social Security card

"If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free. The same applies once you receive the I-766 card, Employment Authorization Document (EAD), from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and bring required evidence." - Social Security Administration.  Click on the link above to visit the Social Security Administration's website.   


How do I get my birth certificate?

Learn how to obtain your birth certificate.  By clicking on this link, you will be directed to Tennessee Office of Vital Records.  


How do I get my birth certificate corrected?

The Office of Vital Records is tasked with amending birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates.  If you need to amend one of these documents, you may click on the link above to visit the website for the Office of Vital Records.  


Tennessee Driver’s License Name Change

Learn where and how to legally change your name by clicking the link above to visit the website of the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security.  


Middle Tennessee

Davidson County Petition for Adult and Minor Name Changes & Birth Certificate Corrections

This link will direct you to the forms provided by the Davidson County Chancery Court.  



Shelby County Probate Court: Name Change Procedures

This link will direct you to forms and information provided by the Shelby County Probate Court.


Petition for Adult Name Change


Petition for Minor Name Change



Legal Advice:


Volunteer Lawyers Who Will Answer Questions for Free Online

How it works:  

  1. We'll ask you some questions to see if we can help you. If we can help, you'll make an account.
  2. Ask your non-criminal legal question. 
  3. We will e-mail you when your question receives a response. Come back to the web site and sign in to read the response.





Table of Contents