What Counts As Junk Mail?
Junk mail is any unwanted or unsolicited advertising or promotional material you get in your mailbox.
Why Is Junk Mail Making A Comeback?
It’s a sign of the times. Most people do not trust the junk mail they get in their e-mail inboxes but will take time to look through letters and advertisements they get in their mailbox.
How Did I Get On All These Mailing Lists?
Anytime you make a purchase or pay for a service that requires you to provide your name and address, your information may end up on a mailing list. Mailing lists are often sold to other businesses, which may result in you getting mail from a company you have never contacted or made a purchase from.
How Do I Get Off These Mailing Lists?
- To remove yourself or those under your care, you can be placed on a “Do Not Mail” list that is maintained by the Direct Marketing Association (DMA). Placing your name on the Do Not Mail list is effective for 10 years. There is a $2 processing fee. You can register online at: https://dmachoice.thedma.org/register.php, or you can mail in your registration. To mail in your registration, the processing fee costs a dollar more. You can click here for a copy of the form or send your name and address with a signature and a check or money order for the $3 processing fee to:
PO Box 900
Cos Cob, CT 06807
- To remove someone under your care, you can register with the DMA’s “Do Not Contact List For Caregivers” at https://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/dncc.php. There is no charge to register for this list.
- To remove a deceased relative, you can register with the DMA’s “Deceased Do Not Contact List” at https://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/ddnc.php. There is no charge to register for this list.
- To stop receiving pre-approved credit card solicitations, call 1-888-5OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit https://www.optoutprescreen.com/.
How Do I Get Removed For Nationwide Sweepstakes Mail Lists?
To have your name removed from major nationwide sweepstakes mailers, contact the following:
- Publishers Clearinghouse: call (800) 645-9242, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or send mail to:
Christopher L. Irving, Sr. Director
Consumer & Privacy Affairs
382 Channel Drive
Port Washington, NY 11050
- Readers Digest Sweepstakes: call (800) 310-6261. For the hearing-impaired, call (800) 735-4327. Send mail to:
PO Box 50005
Prescott, AZ 86301-5005
How Do I Reduce Mail From Stockbrokers And Mutual Fund Companies?
Reduce mail from stockbrokers and mutual fund companies by sending written requests to be removed from lists to the following:
Dun and Bradstreet
R. L. Polk & Co./Name Deletion File
Acxiom U. S.
How Do I Stop Receiving Sexually Oriented Advertisements?
To stop receiving sexually oriented advertisements, click here to download a form from USPS. Follow the instructions on the form and deliver to a post office